Thursday, March 26, 2015

Death Cure by James Dashner Review

Once again I will try to avoid any major plot twists and spoilers as well as I possibly can.

Synopsis

The third and final installment of the Maze Runner trilogy, Death Cure by James Dashner, is an adventurous tale full of action. Group B and the Gladers successfully made it to the "safe haven" in the Scorch Trials, earning them the chance for a cure. Thomas however, is taken away. He is fed three square meals of ham, mashed potatoes, carrots, bread, and water. Locked away like a prisoner, completely isolated. He hasn't had a bath in over three weeks. Hasn't seen a person in that time either.
"Rage crept in. Like a shivering rat looking for a spot of warmth, a crumb of food."
This is how Thomas felt as he stared at the white walls, floors, and ceiling, waiting for the inevitable snap of his brain as he is driven over the edge by the Flare. Suddenly, Rat Man appears in the doorway. This has been yet another trial from Wicked to discover kill zones. Each of them received similar or worse trials. Thomas is lucky though. Like several others, he is immune to the Flare. Some of his friends are not as fortunate.

A procedure will be given to each of them to secure their memories back. Wicked needs for the "subjects" to remember and participate fully in the quest for a cure. They are safe now. They of course have the option to not have the procedure done. Thomas, Minho, and Newt have had enough. They have had enough of the lies, deceit, trials, and games of Wicked. They refuse the procedure. But will they be able to really refuse? Or will they succumb to yet another trial and danger? They hope to make their escape towards freedom.

My Review

Death Cure came to an exciting and unforgettable end. The entire book was much better than I could ever anticipate. So many questions were raised that I could not wait to find the answers to. The stakes were high and I was not disappointed with the action in this book. Bullets were flying, fists were sailing, and the most advanced weaponry was used in the battle for a cure and safety. Wicked, the Right Hand, and Thomas' group all had different objectives in mind as they all raced to beat the other at their own game. Dashner has found a way to make the most realistic apocalyptic dystopian fantasy come alive. There were several deaths that had me in tears and others I knew were inevitable. I have to admit, I was quite worried on how the ending would play out. There were so many possibilities I had in mind. Never did I suspect it would end in the way it did. I am thankful for that. Dashner thought up a brilliant conclusion to the series. Just this once, my favorite book in the series is the ending.
4 out of 5

So were you as satisfied with the ending as I was? Were you team Teresa or Brenda? Did anyone really ship Thomas with anyone? I found that I was not too concerned with the slight bits that can be classified as "romance" in this dystopian novel. I was far too invested in the lives of Thomas, Minho, and Newt to care too much about what happened to the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment